Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Taking the Plunge!


After 14 years of teaching in elementary, middle, and high school, most recently at a local private school, I've decided to plunge back into the public school realm as a 3rd Grade Math & Science teacher.  I'm excited to get to teach one of my favorite ages my most favorite subjects, but honestly, a little nervous about keeping up with all the acronyms again - IEPs, RTIs, and of course, the STAAR.

Here I plan to share some of my hopes and plans for my new adventure as a 3rd grade teacher.  As I have time (and as we know, teachers have TONS of extra time!) I'll try and share some of the ideas I have, and let you know what works and what doesn't.

Doctor Who?

OK, I have a small confession to make.  I am a HUGE geek!  I love nearly all things sci-fi and fantasy - Star Wars, Star Trek (in all its iterations), Sherlock. Supernatural, and most of all, Doctor Who!  Yes, I am one of those people that wait in line for hours to see panels and get autographs at Comic-Cons.  And, yes, I dress up.  Here's a picture of me from Comicpalooza this year:

Yep, I'm wearing a TARDIS skirt in a TARDIS!
So, of course, my first plan for this year is to have a Doctor Who theme for my classroom!  I want to make my door into a TARDIS (this is a sort of time machine for those of you who have no idea!).  I want to do something like this:
TARDIS Door
I also have several quotes from the show I want to use for inspiration (found on etsy.com):

 

On my list is to find some really neat (hopefully Doctor Who related) fabric to make some benches I found on Pinterest using crates.


Now, I do know teaching is not all about your room theme, but I think it's important for the students to learn about who you are as a person.  I want kids to know that it's ok to be different and not be ashamed of who they are and where they come from and the things that make them happy.  In my classroom, I want my kids to think that they can be anything and do just about anything - well, we might have to have a few rules :) !  I want them coming into my room wondering, "Where will we go today?"

Thanks for letting me babble on!  I'm just very excited right now.  I know there will be many ups and downs, but I can't wait to share them.

Have a FANTASTIC day!



3 comments:

  1. I must admit I know nothing about Dr. Who, but this all looks incredibly cute. The class will love it and they will love you! What school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seguin Elementary in FBISD - the same school as Tonia!!!

      Delete
  2. Love your blog, Amanda, and so excited for you! You are going to rock this thing!!

    ReplyDelete