Wednesday, September 10, 2014

First Week Adventures

Even after 15 years of teaching, the first week of school is still the most exciting and the most exhausting time of the year.  I meet these new, sweet faces with their brand new supplies.  The cubbies are ready, the books are counted, and off we go!

We started off with a graphing activity looking at how the students would be getting home.  We made a frequency chart then graphed our results together both as a pictograph (using SoftSchools.com) and as a bar graph which became anchor charts in my classroom:




In our next lesson, the students surveyed their classmates about their favorite things (pets, music, books, food, etc.). They had to make a frequency chart, graph it, and create three questions for other students to answer about the graph.  I modeled questioning with our class's graph using sentence stems as a guide.  I think they turned out well, and I got to break in my Pinterest-worthy bulletin board!



For our first Fun Friday, we brought out the iPads to do some Kahoot! quizzes and practice our digital literacy skills and responsibility.  We did a quick quiz on what they've learned about me, then we did some math review on addition, subtraction, and place value.  The students really loved this activity and I plan on using it for some future assignments.



Next time, we'll be getting into some science investigations to practice using our science tools, as well as more numeracy activities.  I'm still getting to know my kids, but I think I'm going to enjoy my time with them!

Have a FANTASTIC week!


No comments:

Post a Comment